Updated for 2017-Memorial Day events in Sarasota & Bradenton Area
May is the month that we remember the fallen heroes and our members of the armed forces who have so bravely fought for our freedom that we all enjoy today.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of Federal law declaring this day “Memorial Day” after World War II, although the day originated as “Decoration Day” in 1868.
While we have a long weekend, and usually spend the time celebrating and relaxing, in 2000, Congress passed The National Moment of Remembrance Act, asking people to stop everything at 3PM to pay respect to the men and women who died in service of the country. This time was chosen because it’s more likely the time when Americans are most enjoying the freedom made possible by those who died.
We celebrate this year on Monday, May 29, 2017. We wish you all a safe, happy and meaningful Memorial Day weekend.
You May Be Interested in the Article: 22 Fun Things to Do in Bradenton
Saturday-May 27, 2017
- Venice Brew Bash 6: (Centennial Park, 200 W Venice Ave, downtown Venice / (941) 275 – 9096 / brewbash.com/About ) 3 PM – 7 PM. If you’re the type who would rather honor our fallen heroes by raising a glass (or two) in their name, then you need to check out the craft beers and special imported beers. You can also meet representatives from the breweries. The evening will be accompanied by live music by The Jah Movement ( https://jahmovement.com/ ). Don’t forget to grab something to eat while you are there. Tickets are $35 in advance and $45 at the door. 21-year-olds and up only. No minors.
- Sarasota National Cemetery: (Patriots Plaza, Sarasota National Cemetary, 9810 State Rd 72, Sarasota / flagsforfallenvets.com/ ) 9:45 AM. Honor America’s fallen soldiers and their families on Saturday the 27th along with dignitaries hosts American Legion NO-VEL Post 159 of Venice. Patriotic music will be performed by the Sun Coast Wind Ensemble, with the ceremonies beginning at 10 AM. State Representative and Navy Veteran Julio Gonzalez will give the official greeting and Lieutenant General Thomas Montgomery is scheduled to be the guest speaker. Admission is free.
- Florida Wave Cup Tournament: Saturday, May 27th – Monday, May 29th starting at 8 AM. Premiere Sports Complex at Lakewood Ranch (5895 Post Boulevard, Lakewood Ranch/www.wavecup.com/ ). See some of the best soccer teams from the US and Canada with more than 150 colleges coaches and scouts attending. Over 300 elite teams will be participating in this nationally recognized event. If you haven’t been to the Premier Sports Complex in Lakewood Ranch, this is the time.
- IPA Dance Band: Motorworks Brewing, Saturday, 7 PM-11PM(1014 9th Street West, Bradenton/www.motorworksbrewing.com) This is a free event. Enjoy live music in the Beer Garden and food trucks.
Sunday-May 28, 2016
- Lakewood Ranch will be hosting a special “Tribute to Heroes” Memorial Day Parade (8100 Lakewood Ranch Boulevard, Bradenton / www.eventbrite.com/e/2017-tribute-to-heroes-parade-registration-for-bike-race-parade-floatcar-or-sponsor-tickets-33090432374 ) 5 PM – 8 PM. The parade will include local bands and choir groups, drumlines and dance teams, floats, a kid’s decorated bike contest, food, drinks and live entertainment. The pre-parade block party starts at 5 PM, the parade will begin promptly at 7 PM and the street festivities will continue after the parade. All proceeds from this event will benefit Manasota Operations Troop Supports (MOTS). So if you’re looking for an evening plan that will engage the entire family, and support a good cause, definitely head to Lakewood Ranch.
- Beatsville: Asolo Repertory Theatre (5555 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota/ 2 PM,) A Beatnik Musical from the writers of School of Rock. This is a comedy musical based in New York City.
Memorial Day Events in Sarasota and Bradenton 2017-
Monday-May 29, 2017
- The 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway will be recognized at the 2017 Sarasota Memorial Day Parade. (The Parade begins at 10 AM in Downtown Sarasota and marches from Osprey and Main to the Rev J.D Hamel Park and Main and Gulf Stream) This year, the parade will be led by the City of Sarasota Police Color Guard, the Sarasota Sheriffs Color Guard, the Sarasota County Fire Department Color Guard, the Florida Fire Service and Vets on Bikes. There, Jim D’Angelo, M.D., a nationally recognized Battle of Midway Scholar will be the featured speaker during the Memorial Ceremony at the conclusion of the parade at 11 AM. The Sarasota Academy of the Arts will provide the singers for the National Anthem and God Bless America along with a patriotic medley and the Sarasota Military Academy will provide pipers and buglers for the concluding ceremonies.
- Memorial Day Ceremony at Veterans’ Monument Park at 9 AM. The event will take place right behind the Manatee Memorial Hospital (206 Second Street East, Bradenton / http://www.my-mcvc.org/memorial-day) Presented by The Manatee County Veterans Council (MCVC).
- The annual Memorial Day Concert will be hosted at Philippi Estate Park (5500 S. Tamiami Trail Sarasota https://www.evensi.us ) featuring the Sarasota Concert Band from 2 PM – 4 PM. You’re welcome to bring your lawn chairs and coolers. Food and Drink will be available. Adults $5 entry, kids aged 12 and below, and students, enter free.
- Sarasota Jungle Gardens: Celebrating US Armed Forces Day: (3701 Bay Shore Road, Sarasota/sarasotajunglegardens.com). The United States Armed Forces will be celebrated and honored at the Sarasota Jungle Gardens. Admission will be free for the veterans and military officers in active duty with a valid Identification Card with a purchase of one full day priced ticket. Over 200 animals are located throughout the park. The jungle gardens are home to the American Pink Flamingos who roam freely throughout the zoo.
- The 6th Annual Myakka River Blues Festival will be taking place at Snook Haven (5000 E Venice Ave, Venice /www.myakkablues.com ) from 11 AM – 6 PM. This blues festival is going strong after 6 years. Come down and enjoy some of the best southern blues around. See local Florida artist perform live. This all-day annual event will have two stages with a lineup that includes Biscuit Miller, Bill Prestige, The All Veterans Blues Band and much more. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door.
Whether you chose one of these incredible events to attend or chose to stay at home playing with the dogs in the yard, we ask that you take this weekend to remember those who have died in service of our great country and that you give thanks for them.
Please keep their family and friends in your thoughts, and at 3 PM on Monday, May 29th, stop whatever it is that you are doing to honor the National Moment of Remembrance.
View all Bradenton FL real estate today at https://sarasotasandy.com See all the properties available in the Bradenton/Sarasota MLS or call 941-564-9491 to Buy or Sell a House in Bradenton, Sarasota or Anna Maria Island
I have been in real estate sales for over 24 years. I am originally from the Midwest and have lived in beautiful Florida for over a decade. My career sales are over 2,300 homes sold. There aren’t too many obstacles I haven’t encountered throughout my work history. I provide you with honest advice backed by years of experience and understand that a real estate purchase or sale is your top priority.
Nationally recognized. Licensed FL Real Estate Instructor. Contact me at Sandy@SandyWilliams.com or call 941-564-9491